F Social lies at the very heart of Radley and that is a good way of thinking about the type of boy who thrives here. In the very early days of Radley, what is now F Social was the original school boarding house.
The Dormitory was marked out on April 14th 1848, and came into use in January, 1849. It contained about seventy cubicles, which had originally had curtains instead of doors, and it must have been one of the largest dormitories in existence. The intention was that the ground floor should contain chambers for two or three Fellows and a Schoolroom.
From The History of Radley College
To this day the building still houses seventy boys and three house staff, and the ground floor Schoolroom serves as Social Hall where F Social Shells spend their prep time, but that is where similarities with the Victorian era end. Now it is only the fourteen Shells who reside in curtained cubicles, these days each enjoying the luxury of his own wash basin and radiator.
The fifty-five or so older boys are all housed in well appointed study bedrooms. However, despite all the mod cons, similarities remain in the daily pace of life for today's F Social boys. That is because F is so close to everything essential to life as a Radleian: Hall for meals; Chapel for spiritual well being; the Library for scholarly advancement - and also the Pitches of course.
F Social is a close-knit community; year groups enjoy each others' company and our newly refurbished Common Room serves as a wonderful gathering place where Cocoa is hosted, games are played and stories of the day shared. Social is very much a home from home for the 71 boys in F; our ethos is focused around kindness, courtesy and consideration - this is best summed up in the short phrase "we look out for one another".
Tel: 01235 543006