We welcome application for our Open Entry for Overseas pupils up to the end of January of Year 6 (ages 10 to 11).
Applications for 2020 and 2021 Open Entry are now closed except for Scholarship.
We often find that candidates from overseas apply slightly later than those who are schooled in the UK. It is still possible to gain a place at Radley for 2020 and 2021 through the scholarship route, but competition is very tough and a boy should be of scholarship standard. Please review our scholarship section and, if you think your son is a strong candidate, simply follow the instructions on those pages for entry – the system for overseas scholarship applicants is exactly the same as for UK candidates. We would be delighted to hear from you.
If your son is already at a UK prep school, please see the 2023 Open Entry UK page.
Forms for Applications:
- Overseas Schools Report Template | PDF (89KB)
- 2023 Open Entry Overseas Application Form | PDF (117KB)
- 2023 Open Entry Overseas Sport Application Form | PDF (99KB)
- 2023 Open Entry Overseas Music Application Form | PDF (97KB)
- 2023 Open Entry Overseas Guidelines for Entry
Overseas Applicants Timeline
By 28 January 2021:
- Complete the Application Form and return it to email@example.com with the Entry Fee (£250). We will acknowledge receipt of your application to the email addresses provided on your form and will contact the invigilator to help guide them through the ISEB Common Pre-Test. This test is a standardised, age adaptive measure of ability and attainment. It takes the form of an online assessment consisting of multiple-choice questions in Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics. The tests take approximately two and a half hours to complete and can be taken together or at separate times. Full details can be found on the ISEB website (www.iseb.co.uk).
- If your son is a potential music or sport scholar, please complete the relevant form and email it to Admissions (no references required by this date).
By 11 February 2020:
- Your son must have sat the ISEB Common Pre-test by this date. He can either sit the test at his school or at a recognised invigilation centre, approved by Radley - please email firstname.lastname@example.org to check this in advance. (If you are in Hong Kong then applicants can apply through the Brandon Learning Centre, Academic Asia, Arch Education and Brittania Studylink). Please give a copy of the Application Form to the invigilation centre as they will be responsible for the arrangements for him to sit the ISEB CPT.
- A School Report must be completed and returned to us by your son's school. On receipt of your Application Form, we will send you a template of the school report. We recommend that you give it to your son’s school as early as possible in order that this does not arrive late. In exceptional cases we will accept school reports that are in a different format but please liaise with us before taking this approach.
- If your son has sat UKiset, we also need to receive the UKiset results by this date.
- If your son is a potential scholar in either music or sport (see the scholarship section of our website for a guide), please arrange for the relevant music/sport references to be completed by his teacher/coach and returned to the relevant department at Radley, with the form, by this date.
- We will write to parents by the end of March 2021 to let you know whether or not your son has been shortlisted for assessment at Radley. Official Assessment Days will then be allocated to shortlisted candidates. If there are any that you prefer, feel free to let us know and we will try to book your son in for that date should he be shortlisted.
- Please note that if your son has not yet visited Radley, he should do so before the Assessment Day and, if you let us know, we would be happy to arrange a tour the day before his official assessment.
Open Entry results will be given as follows:
- A List: An unconditional offer. Those who accept will be asked to pay the Acceptance Fee of £1,500 and a refundable deposit of one term's fees. On acceptance of the offer, and payment of the fees, a place at Radley will be secure. Parents will have the opportunity to view two Socials and meet Tutors, and will be able to state a preference from those Socials that they have seen. Candidates will be asked to sit an English and Maths test in Year 8 for setting purposes only. Radley reserves the right to withdraw the offer in exceptional circumstances.
- Waiting List (B List): We cannot offer a firm place at present, but would expect to reach a good number of boys who are on the B List in due course. Unconditional offers will be made as and when places arise.
Below is a guide on how we address overseas applications if you have not registered your son. We very much welcome applicants from overseas and the entry process is very similar to that of UK applicants but the deadlines are slightly later in order to make this an easier process for those who are unfamiliar with the UK system.
If you have not yet made an enquiry, please order a prospectus online or contact our office giving us your son’s name, date of birth, parents’ contact details (including email) and he will automatically be added to our Open Entry Enquiry List and we will send you the Entry Form as soon as the process opens. There is no fee payable at this stage.
As a guide, the timings of our entry process for overseas students are as follows:
Anytime from four years before entry (eg. 2019 for 2023 entry): please contact Radley Admissions and arrange a visit to the school.
- July, three years before entry (eg. 2020 for 2023 entry): so long as you have made an enquiry (as above) you will be sent an Entry Form to complete. An entry fee of £250 is charged at this point.
- End of January, two years before entry (eg. 2021 for 2023 entry): the deadline for Radley to receive the completed Entry Form.
- Mid February, two years before entry (eg. 2021 for 2023 entry): the deadline for-
- candidates to sit the ISEB Common pre-test (which can be sat at his school or an approved invigilation centre)
- Radley must also receive a confidential report from a candidate’s school by the same date.
- End of March, two years before entry (eg. 2021 for 2023 entry): Radley will contact parents to let them know if their son has been shortlisted for assessment. Assessments are held at Radley and it is important for candidates to attend. Non-shortlisted candidates will be withdrawn from our lists.
- April/May, two years before entry (eg. 2021 for 2023 entry): Official Assessment Days, held at Radley. Candidates will be interviewed and will also sit an English Assessment. It is important for parents to come on this day to visit Socials and meet the Warden.
- End of May, two years before entry (eg. 2021 for 2023 entry): Radley will send results as follows:
Successful candidates: these boys will receive an unconditional offer. We will need candidates to send another report, and sit an English and Maths assessment for setting purposes only in the year of entry.
Waiting list: remaining candidates will be placed on a Waiting List and we will let parents know the approximate position of their son on those lists.
- Radley Admissions Process
- Visit Us
- Enquire Now
- 13+ Entry
- Remove (yr 10) Entry
- Funded Places and Scholarships
- New Boys
- Sixth Form Entry