At Radley we can boast some of the finest school golfing facilities in the UK. The centrepiece of this is a beautifully manicured nine hole golf course which provides a good test for all levels of players.
The course is a par 34 with three par 3s and an opening par 5. We have two designated practice areas, a putting/chipping green and two warm-up driving nets.
The boys compete each year on the national stage in the ISGA Championships (Independent Schools’ Championships) and the HMC Foursomes Championships. Both tournaments feature regional qualifying and culminate in a national finals day in the summer term. Recent successes include reaching the National Finals of the ISGA Matchplay Tournament at St Mellion, a victory in the ISGA National Plate final (National Handicap Championships) at The Shire G.C. in North London and a coveted spot in the HMC Foursome Finals at Delamere Forest G.C. Aside from the two national tournaments, the boys compete in the West of England Schools’ Championships (held at Burnham & Berrow G.C.) and the South East Schools’ Championships (held at West Sussex G.C. each September).
Success in the West of England Schools’ has been frequent with a now record number of consecutive wins from 2012 to 2018. The boys also have a large number of “friendly” matches against local schools which are played on venues like Sunningdale, The Berkshire, Frilford Heath, Stoke Park and Huntercombe. The team comprises six players and is selected from across all the year groups. Nevertheless, it is desirable that boys are in possession of a single figure handicap to make the senior team.
The juniors are also active on the golfing scene and play in a variety of “friendly” matches against local schools across all three terms. These are usually played over 9 holes on the course of the host school. The team is selected on a rotational basis and will always try to be matched against our opponents. Fixtures should therefore be constructive and meaningful for all parties. Coaching is a very important feature of the programme and is undertaken by a local PGA professional. The team golfers are fortunate to have a membership arrangement with Frilford Heath Golf Club and can also visit Drayton Park to work on technical aspects under the supervision of the professional. They also have access to a strength, conditioning and nutrition programme developed by the Director of Sport.
During the average Radley week, boys either in the process of gaining, or who have already gained a handicap have the opportunity to play golf as part of the alternative sports programme (ASP), in one of the activity slots. All boys whether they have a handicap or not are able to use the course when they have “free” recreational time. The ASP sessions run every Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoon and are under the control of the Master-in-Charge.
Radley Golf Pathway
- Professional coaching is available to selected senior and junior golfers - generally team members - through the “off season” (October – March).
- Strength and conditioning is available for the team players during a weekly session with the Director of Sport and his sports science team (all team boys are individually assessed and strengths/weaknesses identified in relation to their golf swing).
- Kit is provided to all team members (shirts and overtops).
- Team matches against local schools, colleges and clubs (typically 20-25 per year for the seniors and 15-20 for the juniors). Matches are played at venues like Frilford Heath, Sunningdale, The Berkshire, Stoke Park, Woburn, Burnham & Berrow and West Sussex. Frilford Heath Golf Club is the home base for our team golfers. Drayton Park Golf Club in Abingdon is our main training facility.
- A team is entered into each of the national competitions on offer (ISGA Team Championship, HMC Foursomes Championship and HMC Singles Championship). Radley won the National Handicap Championship in 2014.
- A team is entered into the two regional competitions on offer (West of England Schools' Championship and South East Schools' Championship). Radley won the West of England Schools' in 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
- Internal competition is open to all boys in the college via the Palmer Plate (The Radley College Golf Matchplay Championship) during the summer term.
- The jewel in the crown is our golf course – a par 34, beautifully manicured 9 hole course that is the centrepiece of the college grounds. There are also practice facilities that include a putting green, short game area and 200 yard hitting area.